Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Thankful for another year

So today is my birthday!) I am blessed to have so many friends and family that have said some kind words over the day.  I will admit, it has had me crying a few times, but for the most part, I have spent the last few days reflecting on the past year and I sincerely can't be anything but greatful!  Normally, I would have a big birthday bash planned, but his year I decided to do things a little differently.  I sat back and let someone else plan for me, the problem is....Noone did. For those that don't really know me, I am EXTREMELY happy about ANYONE'S birthday.  It is another year to celebrate having that person in my life (as selfish, yet thoughtful as that may sound)  Not sure if that is the Leo or the Virgo trait, but none the less, birthdays are important and should be celebrated to the fullest.

I have been blessed to have countless friends and family to show me support in ways that are unimaginable.  However, my biggest hurdle through the past 11 years has been to be treated like.......a person, not a disease.  The hurdle wasn't for anyone else to jump over but myself is the realization that I came to.  You see, I could never understand why after my presentations or speeches why so many people gravitated towards little me (I only stand 5'2, and according to my 5'10 15 year old, that makes me a little person), but it dawned on me that I have accepted what is going on with me and therefore it makes it easier for others to accept what has happened to me.  The red flag should have just went up in your brain.....Message:  If I can accept me for who I am, then everyone else should be able to do the same.  Lord knows that I am not perfect, but I have chosen to strive for perfection, with the understanding that I may never get there AND THAT IS OK!  People are watching my every move looking for the mistakes, but if I turn the tables and see that the lessons are more valuable than the turmoil, I have won the battle. 

Today, I ask that everyone reflect on being thankful for another day to be accepted by the friends and family that you have no matter your circumstance and imagine if you weren't and what life would be like.  You may be surprised to hear that not everyone accepts me for who I am and today I am saying with the biggest smile on my face and tears in my eyes......THAT IS OK!  I am just thankful to celebrate another year being who I am, a mother, a daughter, a sister, an Auntie, a cousin, a friend, a person just like you!)

Remember, Minutes +/- Moments = Lifetime!  Make them all count!

-Positively yours,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment